How does the framework support navigation?

May 24, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Just wonder CODE framwork has any Navigation feature build in?

So far we do not see any WPF framework support Navigation in straight way.

Our desktop application needs to supports multiple views. Some view may only include one page. Some view may includes a wizard (several pages in sequence). If swtiching out to other view in the middle wizard, later back to the wizards we still know which page we left last time.

thanks!

May 29, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Yes, the CODE Framework does support view navigation. At a basic level, the views are loaded through the

Controller.Action("ControllerName", "ViewName")
syntax. I highly recommend reading through the articles in the Documentation section of this site (http://codeframework.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Articles&referringTitle=Documentation) for more detail, as they will guide you through creating a WPF Application with several complex views.

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Just to add a little here: I assume when you talk about "navigation" you mean navigating to a UI, then clicking a buttong to navigate to a next UI, and then being able to click a Back button to go back to the first UI. That sort of stuff?

Fundamentally, this is possible in CODE Framework. Currently, you have to create a custom style for the Shell though. And there is no default functionality built-in yet to make this work (such as GoBackViewAction). This is something we want to support and it has now bubbled pretty close to the top of the list (in part because we are working on an actual Windows 8 WinRT/Metro version of the framework which also does it). So expect this built in as a third default approach to UI handling (we currently support in-place UI loading, such as in a tab control, and pop-up UI loading in new windows).

The wizard situation is a little bit different. It's more like having a collection of pages that are all part of one UI you navigate to, and then navigating back and forth between these pages with the exact path through the set of pages being defined by your rules/needs. This is something that is not all that hard to build individually but not that easy to build a generic engine for. We should probably add this to the list (and in fact, I just put it on the wish list right now), but it isn't something we had planned yet and I am not sure when we would roll something like that out.

Markus