ViewAction Availability property and tile display

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM
I'm running into a problem with Tile displayed when trying to restrict what is shown based on the Roles the user is granted.
I have debugged the execution of ShellMetroTiles and I can see that availability is evaluated in LoadTiles() while retrieving all the available actions, but it looks like the Availability is changed to Unavailable during the execution of the asyncworker that check the role for the user and therefore not returned.
And I don't think the notification raised makes any difference, the tile is never displayed... though a breakpoint on it clearly indicated that the property was changed to Available.
For now I just changed the code to remove the AysncWorker wrap and it works fine.
Coordinator
Feb 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Hello!

This sounds exactly like a bug we fixed in one of the recent builds. Are you sure you are using the latest version of the framework?

Markus
Feb 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Markus,

Yep, I'm using the January 23rd build from Codeplex.
And I downloaded the source code and simply remove the async wrapper so the roles are evaluated before returning.

Thierry

------ Original Message ------
Received: 09:20 AM EST, 02/16/2013
To: steenbt@usa.net
Subject: Re: ViewAction Availability property and tile display [codeframework:433143]

Hello!

This sounds exactly like a bug we fixed in one of the recent builds. Are you sure you are using the latest version of the framework?

Markus

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM
The async stuff certainly makes things a lot more complicated. Taking it out simplifies things greatly and could fix things. Generally speaking, we have a lot of people using this very feature though, so we have to leave it in. Check out today's build though. We just made a modification that optimizes view action availability rendering. Hopefully that fixes your problem yet keeps the async nature alive. Check out today's build (yes, we had two builds in two days :-)).

Markus
Feb 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Great... I just got the latest and it works.
Thanks for your work.

------ Original Message ------
Received: 11:41 AM EST, 02/20/2013
To: steenbt@usa.net
Subject: Re: ViewAction Availability property and tile display [codeframework:433143]

The async stuff certainly makes things a lot more complicated. Taking it out simplifies things greatly and could fix things. Generally speaking, we have a lot of people using this very feature though, so we have to leave it in. Check out today's build though. We just made a modification that optimizes view action availability rendering. Hopefully that fixes your problem yet keeps the async nature alive. Check out today's build (yes, we had two builds in two days :-)).

Markus