Showing modal dialog when main page clicked

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM
In winforms, this is easy. In WPF, I am sure it is too, I just want to make sure I do it correctly.

When the app starts, if the login window gets hidden by another app (say Visual Studio, windows explorer, whatever), I can't find it by clicking on the main application (shell) form. All I get is a beep. Neither the shell nor the modal window appear.

Since it is a modal dialog, I can understand the shell not wanting to get focus, but it would be nice if, when I did so, the login window would show up again. Otherwise, I have to start closing all my windows until I can find it. I assume this is true with any other modal window/dialog in the framework.

Even if the login window is over the shell/application window, if it is covered, clicking on the shell/application window will not bring either forward and the login is still hidden.

And end users will just think the application crashed if they can't see the modal dialog but get beeps when they click on what they think is the application....

Thanks
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Is this in the Battleship theme?

This depends on the exact setting for the top level window. This is in the style for the theme where properties for the window can be set. I'd have to look into it exactly (and will do so). Probably a matter to set it so it has it's "ShowInTaskbar" set to true or something like that.

Like I said: The Battleship theme in the current build is more of just a starting point example, but the next build will have a more polished version that is more interesting for real projects. I will double-check to make sure that top level modal windows are easier to get to.

Markus