Next Build?

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Edited Jun 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Markus,

I know you and the code gremlins there have been working on a new build (with a few features I am eagerly awaiting....) I was just curious if you had any idea of when it might be released so I can schedule what parts of the app I should work on next...

Thanks,

Fletcher
Jun 13, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Markus,

As a follow up, can you give us a hint of what areas might be updated (like menus, validations, a geek theme, etc.) in the build, whenever it does come out?

Thanks,

Fletcher
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Should only be a matter of days at this point.

You can always see which features we are working on, because our change log topic lists all the "in progress" items, which are then included in the next build: https://codeframework.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=CODE%20Framework%20%28.NET%29%20Change%20Log

Markus
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM
FYI: A new build has just been published.

Markus
Jun 18, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Markus,

The builds often tend to include the Team Foundation Server settings - which causes error messages when it comes up. I found a utility on the web that removes all the codes named StripTeamFoundationServerInformation - Or I can upload it. This can make it easier for people who download the source.

Otherwise, I am looking forward to playing with this new build....

THANKS!

Fletcher
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Hm, you are right. That is a bug, actually. We have a custom packager process that filters out unwanted artifacts like that, but I guess I haven't done a good job of having an eye on making sure all the undesired things are removed. I added it to our internal issue tracker.

Thanks for reporting this.

Markus
Jun 18, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Markus,

Since you often post releases, having a tool that cleans it up might be a nice option on the codeplex site. It takes one less detail off your lap.

Also, when I compile the source, I get a number of warnings - obsolete/deprecated commands, modules that are not used, things that aren't CLS-compliant, etc.

I know these are just warnings but, in my case, I have the CODE FW source code in my project (for now) as it makes it really easy for me to resolve/identify issues. I figured I could try to add enough code to either fix or turn off the warnings, but thought I would check with you before doing so as there may be a good reason they haven't been fixed.

Take care,

Fletcher
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM
The custom build packaging process is actually part of the source we publish under the "Build Packager" project in the solution. If you do a release build, you will see it kick in and plow through the code, create ZIP files, and so forth.

As for the warnings: Yes, there are some obsolete calls we make that have been superseded. One of them is a file handle for instance. It's on the list to replace at some point, but very low priority to be honest. It takes a lot of time to just keep up with that sort of stuff, and it often really doesn't do diddly-squat to change it to the newer version, except for potentially requiring extensive testing. Probably better to spend the time on things like input masks and error providers ;-)

For the CLS-compliant stuff. That comes from things like ZIP handling that has to make some "unsafe" calls. Really not much we can do about that other than removing the ZIP handling capabilities (which is not something we want to do).

Markus