This project is read-only.

Is CODE Framework Production ready?

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Looking over the documentation and release progressions, it seems that CODE Framework is mature and still being updated. I am considering utilizing the out of the box MVC templates for a new package that my company is planning to build. I have downloaded the framework and played around a little bit (approx. 2 hours, not long.) My question is, has the CODE Framework been used for production applications successfully? If so, is there a demonstration of said application? I am looking for something to convince me that this framework has been proven to work well in a production environment.

Thanks
Aug 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Edited Aug 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Josh,

I can't speak for CODE Magazine/EPS (the folks that write the FW.) And while I am using it, I have not released an application that is based on it.

What I do know is this:
1) EPS uses it for solving their clients problems and I am under the impression that a number of their clients have working applications based on the framework.
2) From all that I have seen, there is enough for me to based a 2+ year development project on it. While the documentation is certainly a little weak, not only is there a fairly good response time, you can always purchase consulting time with them (heck they give us the FW for free.)
3) The people whom I have referred to them to have applications developed (I am too busy on my project) have been happy with their interactions so far.
4) While the docs are limited, they are far from nonexistent (as is the case with a number of the FWs I evaluated.) You have access to a wide number of articles, tips, and other references. The difficult part is finding the document that explains what you want since they are somewhat spread out. But I (or anyone else) who is using the FW can point you in the right direction.

As you may note from the discussion board, I have no problem asking questions. And you will note that despite the multitudes of questions, they do answer them.

And, of course, if you have a consulting agreement with them, their response time is very good.

In regards to shipping an application with the FW, I can't give you personal experience. What I do know is that I can use parts and ignore others. And they have some incredibly helpful utilities buried deep in the FW and make life really easy - even if you don't even use the FW. But each time I have tried to do something "my way" I have found that they have figured out a better way and end up adopting that.

Anyway, I am sure that someone from CODE Magazine will chime in, but figured I would put in my 2 cents worth.

Fletcher

ps - FYI - I have been writing enterprise type software since the early 80s and am not being paid by EPS or any of their affiliates.
Aug 23, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Hello Josh,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but those of us at CODE/EPS that watch the boards have been out of pocket.

Fletcher gave a pretty good summary (thanks), but to expand on it: The CODE Framework was born from the desire to have a common way to develop applications. It encompasses may aspects of development, roughly falling into three categories: Services, Utilities, and WPF. You can use any portion without dependencies on the others.

While I can't speak for the almost 12,000 downloads I can tell you that at EPS Software it is used on a daily basis for development on software we release to production. It is mature, parts of it came from an older commercially sold Milos framework and Markus Egger (Owner and Chief Software Architect at EPS) continually updates it based on our current needs and feedback from the community.

We have found that the MVC/MVVM view pattern promoted by the CODE Framework to be a great way to develop WPF applications and provides a solution structure that is easy to follow. Additionally the style/resource driven development encouraged by the CODE Framework allows us to highlight the flexibility of the framework when changing the entire look of views.

We have delivered several WPF projects using the CODE Framework, ranging from simple one/two form applications to large scale 40+ form applications. Unfortunately without their permissions I cannot give you samples or screen shots of their applications (I guess we should get marketing working on that).

Jeff Etter
EPS Software
Senior Software Developer