Style consistency/inconsistancy

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Hi all,
A couple of things. I have noticed that, in a couple of places (say the Workplace-Icon-Standard.xaml) you have references to other styles (metro in that case). It might be good to run a quick project level search of the various themes to see if a theme references was missed when something was copied from one theme to another.

Also, I am trying to figure out why each theme has some things named the same. For example, in the XXX-Layout-EditForm.xaml resource libraries, it seems that each definition has a key of "CODE.Framework-Layout-EditFormLayout" - but the definition is different.

When we define our own keys for a given theme, should we include a theme name or not in the style and (MORE IMPORTANTLY) how do we know when we should use theme specific keys?

Thanks,

Fletcher
Coordinator
Sep 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM
There are several standard resources EVERY theme shoudl support. Like CODE.Framework-Layout-EditFormLayout. You can just assume that is always available. Each theme may (and probably will) choose to make that resource look and behave slightly different, but it should always be there. Same for standard views and all that. (Take a look at this article, which discusses some of this: http://codemag.com/Article/1211091).

Other resources are specific to a theme. For instance, a theme can choose to re-style the way a button looks and apply that across the board. In that case, we usually have an implicit style that refers to another named style. This has the advantage that the style gets applied automatically across the board ("implicit styling"), but still having the named style makes things a bit more versatile, as you could derive other styles from it. So this is something we try to do as often as we can, but it isn't strictly required. I just consider it a pretty nifty idea.

I didn't see any reference to anything with "Metro" in it in the Workplace icons. Do you have a specific example?

Markus