The resource "xxxx" could not be resolved

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Edited Sep 4, 2013 at 6:13 AM
I get this error (The resource "xxxx" could not be resolved) and think I understand why.

But is there a way that we reference a resource dictionary (so the values can be resolved) in a way that can be easily overridden at runtime. This way, I won't miss an error that is buried inside a number of these "errors".

Or maybe we can use a #if DEBUG compiler directive to include a specific resource dictionary at compile time when debugging.

I know that it only happens the when we make changes to a xaml file, but I thought I would check anyway since when it does happen, I have to take the time to scroll through just in case I have missed a "real" error message.

I was going to try some options, but didn't want to find out I had shot myself in the foot when things broke because the approach I implemented had side effects - and since there is only little old me to code AND test, it would be easy for such a bug to slip through.

I also tried to specify an xmlns to reference the geek namespace and assembly, but that didn't work either.

Thanks
Sep 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Ok, I found that I was referencing the style as a static (or dynamic) resource and that was causing the error. When I changed this setting, the error went away (the warnings stayed, but no errors.) I think this was a side effect from creating the style with the xaml and then moving it to a resource dictionary.

Anyway, it would still be nice if there were an easy way to tell VS.NET something so it doesn't complain (then I can turn on warnings to catch other potential issues.)

Thanks
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2013 at 5:56 AM
Well, Blend has that feature to add design time resources. I am not even sure if Visual Studio now supports that since it got so many Blend features. I haven't used this feature in Blend forever either to be honest, since I mostly found it to be more trouble than it is worth. It might be worth checking out though.

Markus