How to remove source control references from downloaded code

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM
If you happen to download the source and are getting messages because you can't access the EPS/Codeplex source control system and want to stop them, there is an easy fix.

If you search the internet for StripTeamFoundationServerInformation (use Google, not Bing as Bing will separate the words and search on that, giving you many irrelevant results.)

Anyway, you will find a number of pages that discuss how to easily remove the references and many of which will also include code.

If you can't find anything that works for you, I have one (maybe Markus might even upload something similar) that does a great job for me. Just email me.

Take care,

Fletcher
Coordinator
Sep 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Are you still getting this problem? I thought we had that licked in this latest build.

Markus
Sep 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Markus,

Some of the projects had them. The routine I run simply goes through all of them, so not sure which ones. But I had messages appear when I tried to open them.

Now my next modification is to figure out how to remove the warning that the projects came from the internet at the same time (the option to apply my answer to all doesn't always work.) And to refresh the solution so that they are all properly loaded. Then I can run that one routine each time I get a fresh build.

If you want, I am happy to upload what I have so others can download it. That way, if something gets missed again, everyone has a solution available. Heck, over time, it might end up not only doing those things but other stuff as well - like check if a modified method/property was used so the downloader can be notified to check that code or look up the changes in the change log, whatever....

Anyway, it's not a big deal for me. I just figured I would post in case someone else had an issue with it and wanted to know how to fix it. That way, you don't have to be worried that it might happen again.

Take care,

Fletcher
Sep 30, 2013 at 6:20 PM
FletcherJ wrote:
Now my next modification is to figure out how to remove the warning that the projects came from the internet at the same time (the option to apply my answer to all doesn't always work.) And to refresh the solution so that they are all properly loaded. Then I can run that one routine each time I get a fresh build.
I don't have an opinion about the project references...I haven't run into that.

Are you getting the warning on archive files (zip files) that are blocked? I.e. Right-click on the ZIP file | Properties | Unblock? (If you don't see "Unblock" then that's not the issue at all.)

If you (or a reader) unblocks a zip file first, you shouldn't have any warnings on any of the files. FWIW, I don't usually see this on files EPS and I trade, but that doesn't happen very often.
Oct 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Nancy,

It's great to hear from you again! Glad to see you are using CODE FW as well.

I didn't bother to check if the zip file was blocked (it probably was). Usually, the message only comes up once and I can have it apply to all. But this last time, it kept coming up for each project, even though I checked "apply to all". Not sure why. And using your idea should work, but I often have to run the routine to clear out the source control references, so why not add the option to programmatically unblock the projects as well. But until I have that, your approach is an option, thanks!

Fletcher
Coordinator
Oct 27, 2013 at 12:57 AM
FYI: I have done more work yet to automatically strip source control information during our build process. Hopefully this will take care of it now :-). Next build has that enhancement.

Markus