Framework Version Management

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:47 AM
I'm new to the framework. Is there any documentation and/or guidelines on best practices for how to work with it in relation to my Visual Studio projects and solutions. Is it best to create a central folder that all my apps can reference or to embed it as a project in the solution like the example does? What are the pros / cons?

In either scenario what is the proper procedure for upgrading the Visual Studio solution to use the latest version of the Code framework.

I apologize in advance if there are already answers out there for these but after searching discussions I'm not finding any.
Developer
Mar 20, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Edited Mar 20, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Hello,
The CODE Framework DLLs are like any other references, you can locate them to suite your companies best practices. Here at EPS/CODE our typical project solutions are like the sample, in that the CODE Framework DLLs are located in a project (_ExternalComponents) inside the solution. The benefits are:
• DLLs can be checked into Source Control
• Everyone on the project has the same version of references
• You don’t have to upgrade every project if one needs a new version
• When you come back to the project months or years from now you have the version the application was developed with
The process of upgrading the version of CODE Framework for a project in part depends on the purpose of the upgrade. If it is for bug fix, or updated/new features then it is simply a matter of copying the new DLLs into the _ExternalComponents project. If your objective is to utilize a new theme then the process is a little more complicated. We have an internal document that lists all the steps, I’ll see if we can get it published into a Quick Tip.

Jeff Etter
Mar 30, 2014 at 5:12 AM
Jeff,

Thanks for the response.

If we just want to use the utilities and not the UI aspects of the framework by only including those files in the project?

Is that possible or are they interrelated in some way?

Did that quick tip get published?

Thanks,

Dave
Coordinator
Mar 30, 2014 at 7:28 AM
Dave,

we generally try to go out of our way to eliminate as many cross dependencies as possible. If you just want to include the utilities, then that's fine. Just add a reference to that DLL and you should be good to go.

Some of the more advanced DLLs have references to lower-hierarchy ones. For instance, if you want to use a theme DLL (such as Workplace, if you want an app to look like Office), then you also have to include the base WPF DLL, but not any of the other themes. It's generally safe to just add the DLL you want and then see if that requires a lower-level one. Depending on the scenario, you may have to add one or two other DLLs, but it should never become a huge web of stuff.

I would still recommend you put all the DLLs of a certain version into the _ExternalComponents folder. No harm in that really, and if you ever decide to add more DLLs, you can be sure you have a set with all matching versions and so on. But only add references to the DLLs in your projects you really need.

Markus
Mar 30, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Markus,

I appreciate the info and quick response.

It makes sense as you state to just include all the files and only reference what's needed.

Thanks again,

Dave