Interface testing

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Hello!

We are building a large CODE framework app here and need to do some UI testing. We have tried a UI testing tool from http://www.ranorex.com/ It works well when you are recording screen interactions.. you can click around, record all actions and use it to verify data etc... It also has the ability to write tests in C# to invoke screen actions also.

Are there any other UI testing tools that have worked well with WPF? We just want to make sure we are using a good tool.

Thanks
Harold
Coordinator
Sep 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM
Hello!

Unfortunately, I don't have a really good answer. I have messed around with basically the same approaches, but UI testing always seems to be one of those things that a) is a pain to set up, b) a pain to maintain, and c) only leads to limited results, since you are never quite sure that things worked right (how do you know for instance, that a template used in a list is in fact correctly applied and looks visually correct, after your automatic test clicked a button?). For this reason, I have pretty much given up on that. I find it generally harder to get the tests right than the actual UI, which to me, invalidates the purpose of testing. So when I try to test the UI layer, I do it mainly on the view-model.

Markus