Shell Structure

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:09 PM
Hi

I only recently stumbled onto your articles and started using your Mvvm/WPF framework to develop WPF applications.

I'm having a bit of a challenge with designing an interface and I went back to this article:
http://www.codemag.com/Article/1211091, hoping it would help me solve my problem but I am no closer to resolving the issue.

My problem is that the "Shell" structure you have in place seems to be restrictive in a way, and I'd like to be able to create my own window to use as a shell and also be able to place controls onto the existing shell itself as a main window. Ideally what I wanted to do was to co-independently use your framework with Microsoft's Modern UI framework and use the ModernWindow.cs as the shell and have my views display there.

Could you please assist me in this regard?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Brian.
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2016 at 8:28 AM
Edited Sep 23, 2016 at 8:28 AM
Brian,

We already handled this in email, but for other people who are reading along, I wanted to also post my response here:

You are on the right track there. You can change the template for the Shell. I think the article you reference talks about doing that. This way, you can completely change what is shown in the shell and what the shell looks like.

You could even go a step further and reference a different shell handler. That is the object that reacts to a shell being requested ("the shell being launched"), so you could entirely replace the shell with whatever you would like to use instead. Admittedly, this is a bit of a bigger operation :-). I don't think you really need that. Just changing the shell template is usually enough for almost all needs.

Markus