This project is read-only.

Code suggestion to help new idiots with the FW

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Markus,

I have run into a number of frustrating problems that have been caused by capitalization/spelling issues. Since much of your code looks up stuff so there is nothing to tell us when it doesn't find it, it can be frustrating when things just don't work - especially since it's not always clear what is being looked up and where.

You might consider having a setting that is checked when things are looked up and not found to indicate what isn't found and where. There is a little of this, (which has helped me and I really appreciate) but it might be nice to just a tad more checking - especially since the FW is so good about trying to guess where to find whatever it is we want it to do.

And since there are some places where the file has to be named/configured just so for the FW to take advantage of it, it might be nice to have a document on where we might want to make sure we follow a standard for those names.

If there is already such a beast, a link to it would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Fletcher
Jun 28, 2013 at 1:02 PM
I hear you. The biggest problem is with resource lookup. If a dynamic resource is not found, not much happens. Unfortunately, this is not part of our system, so there isn't much we can do to improve this. A similar problem applies for data binding.

One of the things we are investigating is whether we can trap internal messages .NET sends to the debug window and parse that and (when the debug visualizer is active) have some way to show those. We are experimenting with that for data binding and I have now added a note to also see if we can do something for resource lookup. I'd like that, because it would help with one of the biggest pain points for all XAML work.

Markus
Jun 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Markus,
But I think your code also does a fair amount of lookup - If I have a view named List.xaml in the Views/Customers folder, the FW finds it and does not get confused with the List.xaml in the Views/Employees folder. So it's that code that I am thinking about here.

It might be nice if a theme could specify some value (when in debug mode) that would give us an idea of which one was applied - but not sure how this might be done. But at least that way, we could see if the desired theme was being applied or not (which could be part of the battle right there.)

Just a thought,

Fletcher
Jul 1, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Actually, you should see all that in the view visualizer, don't you? The only reason I could think of why it wouldn't show up there is if it didn't find something, and then you should get a very detailed exception that lists all the places it tried to look and where it didn't find anything.

Markus
Jul 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Markus,

Ok, still trying to get a handle on all the tools. Will remember to look at that as well (I hate learning curves when I am on the wrong end.... :) )

Thanks,

Fletcher
Jul 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Yeah, I have to admit that for all the XAML dialects, the learning curve is the biggest downside. The good news is: Once you learn how to do stuff, things are pretty straightforward and easy. I like that much better than some of those technologies that seem to remain a PITA no matter how much you use them (I am looking at you, HTML5/JavaScript/CSS :-)).

Markus