This project is read-only.

Whoa... look at all those controls...

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:15 AM
Markus,
In futzing around with the view, I opened the toolbox and found a whole bunch of CODE FW controls. Awesome!

But, other than open each one at a time and look at the code, etc., what would be the best way to find out what they do and when I might want to use one over the other? Or if I should use these at all?

I also noticed that there are a number that are theme specific controls as well - same question.

Thanks,

Fletcher
Jul 8, 2013 at 1:17 AM
I am not totally sure which ones you refer to. We don't really have a whole lot of special controls. But we have a lot of automatically applied control styles. Maybe those are the ones you refer to?

Markus
Jul 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Markus,

When I was trying to layout a form, I clicked on the toolbox and there are a large number of controls showing in a variety of sections (CODE.Framework.Services.Tools.Controls, CODE.Framework.WPF.Controls, CODE.Framework.Wf.Documents.Controls, etc.) The ones in CODE.Framework.WPF.Controls are the "Ex" controls, which I had expected. But wasn't quite sure what to make of all the others or if they should even be used.

Keep in mind that, in my case, I have the actual source code projects for CODE FW as part of my project, not just the .DLLs (because it helps a lot when debugging - so I may be seeing more than I might see if I were only using the .DLL files.

Not a big deal, just interested in how best to use them.

Take care,

Fletcher
Jul 12, 2013 at 1:58 AM
On a side note: You can still use the DLLs and as long as you have the source code somewhere on your machine, you can still debug through it the same way.

Anyway: Most of these controls are really not all that useful if used directly. All the ...Ex controls offer attached properties. You can use those controls, but you won't get any benefits over just using the attached properties on your regular controls. But you can use them if you want. Maybe it would make some properties more discoverable, come to think of it.

Maybe the most interesting controls are the ones that are in the Layout namespace, but those are usually automatically brought in by various styles.

Anything else I can think of are elements that are brought in automatically by styles for various reasons. For instance, there is a ViewAction menu control but you would not usually drop that on a form as such. It is used by various styles in the Shell portion to easily create a data bound menu. But normally, people would not be exposed to that unless they wanted to create new themes.

So really, there aren't any controls there that are specifically created to be used directly :-)

Markus