This project is read-only.

Any tips for hosting service on GoDaddy type site?

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Markus,

I want to set up an CODE FW service running on an IIS type website hosted by GoDaddy. I have no problem uploading the files, etc. But I was wondering if there is any documentation on what I might need to do to get it working so that my frontend code can find and call it.

It works find within the LAN and I will see what I can do to get it working. But thought I would check early rather than wait till I hit a brick wall trying to get it to work.

If I get it working before I see a response, I will respond with any details I discover.

Thanks!
Oct 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Hello Fletcher,
There have been some recent updates to the CODE.Framework Service Client that better support a service hosted in IIS. So the first step would be to make sure you are running on the latest CODE Framework build (I'm pretty sure the changes have made it up to the published build).

The next step is to change your config file of the client. Normally when running on the LAN you would have something like:
<add key="ServiceProtocol" value="NetTcp" />
<add key="ServicePort:ICompanyService" value="50000" />
but for a service hosted in IIS you would modify it to something like:
<add key="ServiceProtocol" value="BasicHTTP" />
<add key="ServiceUrl:ICompanyService" value="http://www.yourdomain.com/yourIISAppname/Company.svc" /
Jeff Etter
Oct 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Actually, Jeff, that is client-side. It enables you to call IIS hosted services through ServiceClient.Call().

As far as hosting in IIS goes, there is nothing special we do. IIS is already well equipped to host WCF services, and our services aren't really special in any way once they are up and running. We focus on making it easier to go through the dev process of services, but once they are complete, it is a very important design goal that they are standard services. The only exception to that is the automatic REST stuff. That you lose in IIS.

Markus
Oct 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Perhaps I misread the question. I was thinking that the hosting part was completed.. but re-reading I can see that how to get the hosting working might be the real question posed.

If so, look at my answer as part two, once you have your services hosted in IIS here's how to call them using the CODE Framework ServiceClient. ;)

Jeff
Oct 29, 2013 at 5:37 AM
Markus & Jeff,

My question was more of a:

ok, I have a GoDaddy account, domain, and simple website set up - but I have not really put any code up there other than basic html. If I want to provide a service that can be exposed as REST, a Web service, etc., is there anything special I need to do?

Clearly, if the BE is running as a simple IIS page using posts to pass the info, it shouldn't be an issue.

On my Lan, I can set up the host to run as a service and life is good. But I have no idea how to do this on GoDaddy. I will talk with them, but thought I would check to see if you knew of anything that might help.

In any case, I will figure it out and if I find anything that might help someone, I will post it here.

Thanks,

Fletcher
Oct 29, 2013 at 10:34 AM
I am not totally sure what the question is. Are you asking how to host a service in that case, since you can't just run a self-hosted service? If so, the answer is that you can host services in IIS. Our services are just WCF services, after all. But for self-hosted services we do some custom stuff around REST, which would not be available in IIS.

Markus
Jun 29, 2015 at 8:26 AM
hI, In addition to updating the web.config like jetter said, and what markus said is also true,

to go from the code framework development host to iis hosted service don't forget:

create a new web service application
delete default svc and code behind files
add new wcf service (svc) with your name at the root, and delete that file's code-behind .cs file
now, edit the svc file to look something like this (following the code fw naming conventions) to point to YOUR code fw project's classes:

<%@ ServiceHost Language="C#" Debug="true" Service="YourProject.Services.Implementation.YourProjectService" CodeBehind="YourProject.Services.Implementation.YourProjectService.cs" %>

Should get you there :)

G-
Jun 29, 2015 at 3:27 PM
Perhaps at this point, it should also be added that we now support REST/JSON services to be hosted in WebApi, which might be a good way to go.

More info here: http://codeframework.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=WebApi%20Service%20Hosting

Markus